The Philips DVDR77 is a DVD+RW recorder with an inbuilt PCMICA media reader, which due to apparent obsolence can be found quite cheap. To make it region free the easiest way is to use a Palm Pilot
- Download OmniRemote (the download version is a 15 day free trial).
- You need to send code RC6 (Codeset 4, Key 235) to the DVD. OmniPhilips955.pdb is an OmniRemote database with a big button to send this code.
- From the system menu of the DVD, select the 5th item and change the remote control type to DVD Player.
- Use OmniRemote to send the code to the DVD. It should now be showing dashes (- - - - - -). I had to press the button a few times before it seemed to register.
- videohelp.com has the procedure to enter the region free code from here. Enter 121212005255 and then PLAY.
- Reset the DVD remote type.